Picture: Doug Zimmerman/SFGATE
For extra protection, go to our full coronavirus part right here.
San Francisco Unified School District introduced late Thursday afternoon that seven students from Glen Park Elementary reported respiratory illness.
Whereas different colleges within the district put together for a three-week closure starting Monday, Glen Park was shuttered instantly because the Division of Public Well being begins an investigation of the scenario.
The students might be examined for COVID-19, SFUSD stated in a press release. There presently are not any confirmed circumstances at the school.
“Primarily based on present steering from well being specialists, Glen Park households and employees are requested to self-quarantine, which suggests to remain dwelling and monitor your well being for 14 days. In the event you grow to be sick, search care out of your medical supplier,” SFUSD stated in a press release.
SFUSD’s Lakeshore Elementary School is already closed. On March 12, 4 students and a variety of grownup members of the family reported having respiratory illness. They have been being examined for COVID-19, however at the time of the announcement, there have been no confirmed circumstances at Lakeshore.
In response to the potential circumstances in colleges, the San Francisco Unified School District introduced Thursday afternoon all colleges will shut for 3 weeks March 16 by way of April 6.
The three-week closure consists of spring break (scheduled for the week of March 30). Through the shutdown, SFUSD leaders and college are being informed to work on methods to make studying safer throughout the world pandemic. College might be requested to return to work beginning March 23 to assist put together.
SFUSD Superintendent Dr. Vincent Matthews stated the district will clear campuses and put preventive measures in place throughout the closure.
“The San Francisco Unified School District is taking the time to arrange school communities within the probability of a protracted COVID-19 epidemic,” he stated.
The district serves over 55,000 students.
Students who qualify without cost lunches will proceed to have entry to this system, district officers stated. Particulars on how the meals can be served weren’t instantly out there.
As COVID-19 continues to unfold across the Bay Space, colleges are closing out of an abundance of warning.
On Tuesday, March 10, the Archdiocese of San Francisco introduced all 90 of its Catholic colleges in San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin counties would shut for 2 weeks after a scholar examined optimistic for COVID-19.
Outdoors the Bay Space, Northern California’s largest school district, Elk Grove Unified, introduced it will shut by way of March 13 after a household within the district examined optimistic for the virus.
The next colleges within the Bay Space have introduced closures:
(Most often, all courses and on campus actions are canceled.)
- All Berkeley Unified School District colleges might be closed till at least April 5. All preschools, elementary and center colleges, in addition to Berkeley Grownup School, might be closed beginning on March 16. All excessive colleges might be closed beginning March 13.
- All Oakland USD colleges and little one improvement facilities will shut as of 6 p.m. Friday, the district introduced. The closures will stay in impact by way of at least Sunday, April 5, the top of Spring Break.
- Hayward Unified School District is closing all colleges from Monday, March 16, by way of March 27, the superintendent introduced Friday. Spring break has been moved up for each HUSD’s year-round and conventional colleges.
- Faculties within the New Haven Unified School District might be closed Monday, March 16 by way of its spring break. In-class classes are scheduled to renew April 6.
- San Leandro Unified School District colleges will shut Monday, March 16 by way of April 3, the district introduced Friday.
- Moreau Catholic Excessive School in Hayward has briefly instituted distance studying.
- Dublin Unified School District has suspended all courses from March 16 by way of April 10.
Faculties and universities:
- UC Berkeley is suspending most in-person courses as a precaution. Some courses, reminiscent of labs, performing arts and bodily training, will nonetheless be allowed to fulfill in particular person, however instructors have been inspired to reduce in-person contact wherever attainable. The modifications have been set to take impact March 10 and can final by way of the top of spring break on March 29. Directors knowledgeable students and college by way of e-mail on March 9. Students have been informed to search for particular directions from professors within the coming days. Campus will nonetheless be open, as will scholar housing and eating halls.
- Chabot-Las Positas Neighborhood School District will transfer to on-line courses starting March 16 (with some restricted in-person courses).
- Cal State East Bay is canceling courses from March 11-15. Lessons will resume on-line beginning March 16 by way of April 12, with per week break for spring break. Some labs and studios that aren’t attainable to show on-line will proceed in-person instruction.
- Oakland Holy Names College is shifting all courses on-line in the interim, beginning March 16.
- Merritt School has canceled in-person courses starting March 16.
- Laney School is canceling in-person courses March 11-14.
- The Peralta Neighborhood School District has moved its spring break from April to March 16-21.
CONTRA COSTA COUNTY
- All West Contra Costa Unified School District colleges will shut March 16-April 6, the district introduced Thursday afternoon. On Friday, all students within the district might be dismissed at midday.
- All Mt. Diablo Unified School Districts will shut starting March 17, after a scheduled school district vacation on Monday, the school district superintendent introduced Friday. Right now, the district has not disclosed when it’s going to reopen.
- Faculties within the Pittsburg Unified will shut on Monday, March 16 for 2 weeks.
- The Martinez Unified School District might be closed March 16 by way of April 3.
- Antioch Unified School District might be closed starting Monday, March 16. The district is planning to reopen after spring break, on March 30.
Faculties and universities:
- St. Mary’s School will transfer to distant course instruction starting March 16. Lessons are scheduled to renew April 14.
- Diablo Valley School will transfer courses on-line starting March 16. Labs and different periods that require an in-person presence will meet at the discretion of the professor.
- All Marin County colleges will near students for 2 weeks starting March 16, the county introduced Friday. Meals and sources will nonetheless be provided.
- All 90 Catholic colleges in San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin counties will shut March 12-25, the Archdiocese of San Francisco introduced Tuesday afternoon. Buildings might be closed, courses and actions canceled, and all studying materials might be distributed “using the Archdiocesan distance studying protocol,” the superintendent stated in a press release. One preschool, six elementary colleges, and one excessive school (Marin Catholic Excessive) are affected in Marin County. (Full listing right here.)
- Bolinas-Stinson School will stay closed by way of March 27.
SAN FRANCISCO COUNTY
- SFUSD introduced on Thursday, March 12, that every one colleges might be closed for 3 weeks beginning March 16.
- Lakeshore Elementary School: Closed for at least two weeks beginning March 12 after 4 students and a variety of grownup members of the family reported having respiratory illness. They have been being examined for COVID-19, however at the time of announcement there have been no confirmed circumstances at Lakeshore.
- Glen Park Elementary School: Closed after seven students reported respiratory illness Thursday. They’re being examined for COVID-19, however at the time of the announcement there have been no confirmed circumstances.
- All 90 Catholic colleges in San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin counties will shut March 12-25, the Archdiocese of San Francisco introduced Tuesday afternoon. Buildings might be closed, courses and actions canceled, and all studying materials might be distributed “using the Archdiocesan distance studying protocol,” the superintendent stated in a press release. Ten preschools, 27 elementary colleges, and 7 excessive colleges (together with St. Ignatius, Sacred Coronary heart and Archbishop Riordan) are affected in San Francisco. (Full listing right here.)
As well as, the San Francisco Unified School District informed dad and mom in an electronic mail Monday night time that any scholar absences over the following two weeks might be excused.
Faculties and universities:
- Metropolis School of San Francisco is suspending in-person courses for the remainder of the semester beginning Friday, March 13. The school is shifting up its spring break to the week of March 23 (beforehand the week of March 30) to present college time to implement a web-based studying plan. Within the meantime, throughout the week of March 16, there might be no Metropolis School courses or occasions.
- San Francisco State College suspended all face-to-face courses, Tuesday, March 10 by way of Sunday, March 15. (On-line courses proceed as common.) Beginning Monday, March 16, all courses might be taught on-line till at least Sunday, April 5.
- The College of San Francisco is suspending all in-person courses by way of at least March 29. On-line courses will start March 18.
- Golden Gate College introduced all of it of its courses exterior of the legislation school can be moved on-line in the interim. Lots of the college’s courses have been already taught on-line earlier than the COVID-19 epidemic. San Francisco State College additionally canceled face-to-face courses for the rest of the week.
- UCSF has canceled or postponed all occasions, courses, and conferences involving greater than 150 folks for the foreseeable future.
- The Academy of Artwork College is suspending all on-site instruction beginning Wednesday, March 11 till the top of spring break on Monday, March 30. All courses might be taught on-line.
SAN MATEO COUNTY
- San Mateo County colleges are closing for 3 weeks, March 16 by way of April 3.
- All 90 Catholic colleges in San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin counties will shut March 12-25, the Archdiocese of San Francisco introduced Tuesday afternoon. Buildings might be closed, courses and actions canceled, and all studying materials might be distributed “using the Archdiocesan distance studying protocol,” the superintendent stated in a press release. Eleven preschools, 22 elementary colleges, and 5 excessive colleges are affected in San Mateo County.
- A relative of a scholar at Junipero Serra Excessive School in San Mateo had examined optimistic. The school closed for cleansing March 9-11 earlier than the Archdiocese introduced the bigger closure. (Full listing right here.)
- St. Matthew’s Episcopal Day School is closed; it’s going to start on-line courses March 16.
- The Nueva School in Hillsborough may also be closed by way of April 3.
- Mid-Peninsula Excessive School in Menlo Park is closing March 13 by way of April 3. All courses might be held on-line.
Faculties and universities:
- Lessons at the School of San Mateo are canceled by way of March 16; on-line programs will start March 17.
SANTA CLARA COUNTY
- All public colleges in Santa Clara County will shut March 16 by way of April 3.
- Motion Day Main Plus in San Jose: Closed Monday; trainer examined optimistic.
- Castilleja Center and Excessive Faculties are closed starting March 16. On-line courses will begin March 18.
- Bellarmine School Preparatory is closed by way of the top of March.
- The Diocese of San Jose Division of Catholic Faculties will shut all diocesan colleges beginning subsequent week by way of March 27.
Faculties and universities:
- Santa Clara College suspended face-to-face courses from March 10 by way of April 13. All courses and winter 1uarter ultimate exams might be carried out on-line.
- Stanford College moved all of its courses on-line in the interim after a school member examined optimistic for the virus. Winter quarter ultimate exams might be carried out as take-home exams. The college president additionally requested all students who’re capable of depart campus housing to take action so as to scale back the focus of individuals within the dorms.
- San Jose State College can be shifting all courses on-line by way of March 27.
- San José Metropolis School and the Milpitas School Extension are canceling in-person courses March 11-16. After March 16, the colleges say courses will taught on-line by way of at least April 6.
- West Valley School additionally canceled face-to-face courses till additional notices, beginning March 11. Some will restart on-line March 16 and others will restarting on-line on March 23.
- Evergreen School will droop all non-lab in-person courses, and transfer these programs to a web-based format on March 16.
- Mission School will droop in-person courses by way of April 5. On-line courses will start in waves, on March 16, March 23, and April 6.
- De Anza School will transfer most courses on-line starting March 16 for the foreseeable future.
Faculties and universities:
- Sonoma State College is canceling face-to-face courses for 3 days (on March 12, 13 and on the opposite facet of spring break on Monday, March 23). Through the break, college is making ready to show on-line if wanted.
MORE CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE:
Join ‘The Every day’ publication for the most recent on coronavirus right here.
Alix Martichoux contributed to this story. Amy Graff is an SFGATE digital editor. E-mail right here: email@example.com.