Names of campus libraries, state crops, Harry Potter characters, Bay Space mountain peaks, well-known UC Berkeley ladies and medical pioneers had been the most well-liked names recommended by the general public this spring for UC Berkeley’s newest peregrine falcon chicks — two males and one feminine — that had been born in April. The triplets’ mother and father, Annie and Grinnell, arrange territory on the Campanile in late 2016 and, since 2017, have raised chicks there.
“We had over 400 solutions this yr — a minimum of twice as many as final yr — and over 5,000 likes/hearts/votes to tally up,” mentioned Sean Peterson, a Berkeley Ph.D. scholar in Berkeley’s Division of Environmental Science, Coverage and Administration who run the Cal Falcons social media challenge with biologist Lynn Schofield. “It was actually enjoyable to see what folks got here up with.”
In celebration of graduation, he mentioned, the ultimate vote will happen beginning tomorrow (Saturday, Could 16) and run via Tuesday (Could 19), at midday. The profitable set of three names shall be introduced on Tuesday afternoon.
Directions on how one can vote might be discovered on the Cal Falcons web site.
Select certainly one of these units of three names, and get out the vote!
- Doe, Moffitt and Koshland, after the campus libraries named for San Francisco financier and philanthropist Charles F. Doe, UC alumnus and Regent James Ok. Moffitt and immunologist and educator Marian Koshland.
- Poppy, Sequoia and Redwood, for the state flower, the perennial California poppy, and the 2 official state timber. In 1951, to settle confusion over the California Legislature resolution in 1937 to call the native redwood as California’s official state tree, California’s lawyer normal dominated that Sequoia sempervirens (coast redwood) and Sequoiadendron giganteum (large Sequoia) each certified for the title.
- Ron, Harry and Hermione, good buddies in J.Ok. Rowling’s Harry Potter sequence. These names obtained the highest vote amongst solutions from kids.
- Hamilton, Tamalpais and Diablo, after the three essential peaks that encompass the Bay Space — Mount Tamalpais to the north, in Marin County; Mount Diablo to the east, within the Diablo Vary in Contra Costa County; and Mount Hamilton, to the south, within the Diablo Vary in Santa Clara County.
- Morgan, Scrivner and Diamond. A number of of those names had been recommended by a number of folks, as Berkeley is celebrating the 150th anniversary of ladies being admitted the college. In 1904, alumna and architect Julia Morgan turned the primary feminine licensed architect in California; Rosa Scrivner, the primary feminine UC graduate, obtained her Ph.B. in agriculture in 1874; and Marian Diamond, a Berkeley professor emerita when she died in 2017, was a founder of contemporary neuroscience and the primary to indicate that the mind can change with expertise and enhance with enrichment.
- Hippocrates, Edward and Florence, for the Greek doctor generally known as the founder of medication; Dr. Edward Jenner, founding father of the sphere of virology and a pioneer of the smallpox vaccine; and Florence Nightingale, a nurse and social reformer who raised requirements for nursing and educating nurses.