Monday’s Briefing: Legislature returns to work, eyes $4.2 billion climate bond; Starbucks laptop theft victim is remembered
Rented electrical mopeds might be coming in Oakland
Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 4:00 AM
Information you don’t need to miss for Jan. 6:
1. State lawmakers return to work in Sacramento immediately. Among the many massive points is a proposed $4.2 billion climate bond, the Related Press stories. The bond would assist the state put together for potential future wildfires. Any bond would first have to go earlier than voters within the fall.
2. The California Democratic Social gathering settled sexual assault and office misconduct lawsuits towards its former chair Eric Bauman for $2.9 million, the Wall Road Journal stories. The lawsuits filed by former state Democratic Social gathering workers has been a black eye for the progressive state get together. Bauman grew to become get together chair in 2017 with the assist of native state Sens. Nancy Skinner and Bob Wieckowski amid whispers of Bauman’s misconduct allegations that later grew to become public. $$
3. The San Francisco Chronicle profiles the chief of Oakland’s new metropolis division. Violence Prevention Chief Guillermo Cespedes began his new job final September and hopes to focus narrowly on particular high-crime neighborhood in Oakland with a “public well being strategy.” $$
4. Shun Zeng, the murder victim in Oakland’s Montclair District on New 12 months’s Eve that occurred following the theft of his laptop, was remembered over the weekend, the East Bay Instances stories. Police have charged two suspects. In the meantime, Oakland Councilmember Sheng Thao, who represents Montclair in District 4, is proposing a brand new coverage directive for cops to return to strolling beats within the Montclair District, the East Bay Citizen stories.
5. May Harmony be the Bay Space’s subsequent tech hotspot? Forbes contributor John Cumber writes the Harmony Naval Weapons Station might present the seeds for an additional housing and tech growth within the East Bay. However union labor and Lennar, the developer of the proposed growth that features 13,00zero new housing models, are at an deadlock, the Bay Metropolis Information stories. The problem comes earlier than the Harmony Metropolis Council on Tuesday evening.
6. Lime retains elevating the worth of its e-scooters after which there’s tax on its use in Oakland. Perhaps adventurous commuters is likely to be serious about upgrading to a rented moped? Revel, a New York startup, just lately utilized for a allow in Oakland to deliver 1,00zero electrical mopeds to town’s streets, The Data stories.
$$ = Tales you will have to pay to learn.